Thursday, November 24, 2011

A SRU Thanksgiving

Today was my first experience of an American Thanksgiving and it did not disappoint. Stayed in the dorms last night with some of the other Internationals and must say it was pretty creepy!! Ghost town definitely comes to mind. But today was brilliant spent it with the Noah family in Butler with the two Irish students. Definitely think a mixture of a massive home-cooked turkey meal, and midnight shopping should not go hand in hand, but none the less, a Black Friday experience must be had. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone reading this, I definitely think I will be carrying on this tradition back home.

5 comments:

  1. Great first post Sarah-Jane. I think all 3 of us Irish seem to have had positive experiences of thanksgiving. But in saying that, I think a home-cooked meal and the experience of a family environment has made me miss home. One question I would like to ask you is are you looking forward to going home, or do you want to stay here in SRU? Bring on Black Friday, and a happy thanksgiving to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya Cody and Gary really enjoyed the food! (nothing new) It was a lot nicer than the same food over and over in the dining halls. The dorms were scary alright! There was a few scary thoughts alright came into my head. Black Friday proved to be very eventful and exciting. Some bargains were had. I think if I was ever to return to the states on a holiday, it would be around Black Friday time, so I can get more good deals!!
    Finally I don't think I will continue the thanksgiving cooking at home! my cuisine skills aren't that good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys thanks for your comments and hope both of you have recovered after your Black Friday shopping experience! I think we can all agree that I home cooked meal was long over due! And to answer your question Garry am I looking forward to going home the answer is Yes. But it is not because I am not enjoying myself here in Slippery Rock (because I'm having a fantastic time), but more as a result of the great family and friends which I have at home and it is defiantly true "absents makes the heart grow founder". I must say thought that as a result of joining the SRU women's rugby team it really helped me to settle in and limit any homesickness they are a great group of girls and loved playing every minute with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that you got to experience an American tradition while you were here. I hope that you do continue on the tradition at home. Keep all of your Slippery Rock friends in mind every year on your new holiday. Did you enjoy the chaos of Black Friday? I will never go out with the crazies that come out early on Black Friday, but I did go out later in the day and got some great deals! Thanks again for spending a fun night out in Slippery Rock...that was my first experience of Ginger Hill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cody I'm glad to see that you had a good Thanksgiving! When I was at home on Wednesday your name popped up on my facebook and I just thought that I didn't know what your plans were but I should have asked if you needed a place to go. I don't have your number so I wasn't able to text you to see if you wanted me to bring ya home haha but then I saw that you did have plans so it was reassuring. And I'm glad to see that joining the team has helped you settle in! I'm depressed that you're only here for a semester, when you first joined I thought you were here all year. I'm sorry that we have to lose you on the team but I'm happy that you get to go back to your friends and family, I don't know how I could be as far away as you are from friends and family with limited means of communication without going crazy!

    ReplyDelete